In this research, we are interested to develop metal additive manufacturing (AM) process and built strategy software tools that combine both direct deposition and subtractive processes to produce defect-free large parts. This leverages on both direct energy deposition and robotics technology to print large metal parts. This project is done in collaboration with 3D MetalForge.
Integrated Path and Process Planning
Overhanging Feature Planning
Hybrid Wire Arc AM Process
- A. G. Dharmawan, S. Padmanathan, Y. Xiong, I. F. Ituarte, S. F. Foong and G. S. Soh, “Maximizing Robot Manipulator’s Functional Redundancy via Sequential Informed Optimization”, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics, Singapore, 2018.
- Y. Xiong, S. Park, S. Padmanathan, A. G. Dharmawan, S. H. Foong, D. W. Rosen and G. S. Soh, “Process planning for adaptive contour parallel toolpath in additive manufacturing with variable bead width”, Journal of Advance Manufacturing Technology, 10, 2019.
- T. F. Lam, Y. Xiong, A. G. Dharmawan, S. H. Foong, G. S. Soh, “Adaptive Process Control Implementation of Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing for Thin Wall Components with Overhanging Features”, MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Hangzhou, China, 2019.
- Y. Xiong, A. G. Dharmawan, Y. L. Tang, G. S. Soh, D. Rosen, “Computer-aided Process Planning for Wire Arc Directed Energy Deposition”, Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, Austin, USA, 2019.
- A. G. Dharmawan Y. Xiong S. H. Foong, G. S. Soh, “Development of an Automated and Adaptive System for Robotic Hybrid-Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing (H-WAAM)”, IFToMM International Symposium on Robotics and Mechatronics, Taipei, Taiwan, 2019. (Best Paper Award Finalist)
- T. F. Lam, Y. Xiong, A. G. Dharmawan, S. H. Foong, G. S. Soh, “Adaptive Process Control Implementation of Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing for Thin Wall Components with Overhanging Features”, Journal of Advance Manufacturing Technology, 2019. (Accepted)
- A. G. Dharmawan, Y. Xiong, S. H. Foong, G. S. Soh, “A Model-Based Reinforcement Learning and Correction Framework for Process Control of Robotic Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Paris, France, 2020. (Accepted)