ORION is a unique swarm robotics system comprising two types of micro-robotic units: a wall-climbing variant and a floor-mapping variant. Both variants, which are based on the same core hardware and software designs, allow for flexible installation of sensors and mobility devices such as motion sensors and wheels to cater for different tasks and navigate through the different terrains. This was awarded the 2019 Singapore Good Design Mark.
Mapping Variant (O-Map)
Climbing Variant (O-Climb)
- A. G. Dharmawan, P. Xavier, D. Anderson, K. B. Perez, H. H. Hariri, G. S. Soh, A. Baji, R. Bouffanais, S. H. Foong, H. Y. Low, K. L. Wood, “A Bio-Inspired Miniature Climbing Robot With Bilayer Dry Adhesives: Design, Modeling, And Experimentation”, Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference, Quebec, Canada, 2018. (Best Paper Award)
- J. Sundram, V. D. Nguyen, G. S. Soh, R. Bouffanais and K. L. Wood, “Development of a Minimal System Architecture of Multi-Agent Occupancy Grid Mapping”, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics, Singapore, 2018.
- H. H. Hariri, D. K. C. Yung, H. C. Lim, A. G. Dharmawan, V. D. Nguyen, G. S. Soh, S. H. Foong, R. Bouffanais, H. Y. Low and K. L. Wood, “ORION-II: A Miniature Climbing Robot with Bilayer Compliant Tape for Autonomous Intelligent Surveillance and Reconnaissance”, Proceedings of the IEEE 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, Singapore, 2018.
- C. Y. Koh, A. G. Dharmawan, H. H. Hariri, G. S. Soh, S. F. Foong, R. Bouffanais, H. Y. Low, and K. L. Wood, Design and Analysis of A Miniature Two-Wheg Climbing Robot with Robust Internal and External Transitioning Capabilities”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Montreal, Canada, 2019.
- A. G. Dharmawan, C. Y. Koh, G. S. Soh, S. F. Foong, R. Bouffanais, H. Y. Low, and K. L. Wood, “Tail Design of A Miniature Two-Wheg Climbing Robot for Optimized External Transitioning”, IFToMM World Congress, Krakow, Poland, 2019.
- J. L. Kit, A. G. Dharmawan, D. Mateo, S. H. Foong, G. S. Soh, R. Bouffanais, and K. L. Wood, “Decentralized Multi-Floor Exploration by a Swarm of Miniature Robots Teaming with Wall-Climbing Units”, International Symposium on Multi-Robot and Multi-Agent Systems, 2019. (Most Outstanding Paper)
- A. G. Dharmawan, G. S. Soh, S. H. Foong, R. Bouffanais, K. L. Wood, “Design Innovation of Mesoscale Robotic Swarms: Applications to Cooperative Urban Sensing and Mapping”, Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering, 2019. (Accepted)