I am a water guy.
I want to learn and advance the arts of water management, so that every human being can live in harmony with water, with the right quantity and quality. I am working on paleohydrology—reconstructing river flow history in major basins across the Asian Monsoon region. My first paper is a novel reconstruction method that explicitly accounts for catchment dynamics. I am now applying this method to a large number of stations in 14 countries across Asia. The findings of this work will improve our understand long-term catchment variability and how climate plays its role, and such knowledge may help to make better water management decisions.
I believe in sharing science and participate actively in events promoting research to a broader audience. I also love teaching and I do my best to instill research interest in undergraduate students. My efforts in these two areas have been recognized with several awards.
Before coming back to academia, I was a process engineer, running in water treatment plants in Qatar and Singapore. Having seen the bolts and nuts of water resources systems, and the problems they inherited from a larger scale, I appreciate the importance of systemic planning and operation. That triggered me to pursue a PhD in Engineering Systems, with a focus on water resources management. My advisor is Assistant Professor Stefano Galelli.
- Best Research Project, SUTD Research Fest, 2019
- Winner (First Prize), SUTD 3-Minute Thesis competition, 2018
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, SUTD, 2017
- SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship
- SDWA Study Grant, SGD 50,000
- Keppel Corporation’s Study Grant, SGD 30,000
- NUS Civil Engineering Scholarship, SGD 24,000
- NUS Award for Studying Abroad, SGD 11,000
- NUS Engineering Innovation & Research Award (for Bachelor’s dissertation)
- M.Sc, Civil Engineering, Delft University of Technology (2012)
- M.Sc, Hydraulic Engineering & Water Resources Management, National University of Singapore (2012)
- B.Eng, Civil Engineering (Joint Degree), National University of Singapore and University of Melbourne (2009)
Keppel Group of companies (2011 – 2015) with the following key appointments
- Senior Operation & Maintenance Engineer, Ulu Pandan NEWater Plant
- Process Engineer, Doha North Sewage Treatment Works