I am a water guy.
In my research, I try to understand the variability and changes in the water cycle at multiple spatial and temporal scales, and apply such understanding to water resources management. In my PhD I work on two avenues. On one hand I use tree rings and other proxies to study past changes in the water cycle, reconstructing river flow history over eight centuries throughout the Asian Monsoon region. On the other hand, I study how observing the ocean state (in particular, ENSO state) can help improve reservoir operations. In the future I aim to merge these two topics.
I believe in sharing science and participate actively in events promoting research to a broader audience. I also love teaching and I do my best to instill research interest in undergraduate students. My efforts in these two areas have been recognized with several awards. Recently I’ve developed an interest in reproducible research.
Before coming back to academia, I was an engineer, running water treatment plants in Qatar and Singapore. Having seen the bolts and nuts of water resources systems, and the problems they inherited from a larger scale, I appreciate the importance of systemic planning and operation. That triggered me to pursue a PhD in Engineering Systems and Design, with a focus on water resources management.
- Best Research Project, SUTD Research Fest, 2019
- Winner (First Prize), SUTD 3-Minute Thesis competition, 2018
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, SUTD, 2017
- SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship
- SDWA Study Grant, SGD 50,000
- Keppel Corporation’s Study Grant, SGD 30,000
- NUS Civil Engineering Scholarship, SGD 24,000
- NUS Award for Studying Abroad, SGD 11,000
- NUS Engineering Innovation & Research Award (for Bachelor’s dissertation)
- M.Sc, Civil Engineering, Delft University of Technology (2012)
- M.Sc, Hydraulic Engineering & Water Resources Management, National University of Singapore (2012)
- B.Eng, Civil Engineering (Joint Degree), National University of Singapore and University of Melbourne (2009)
Keppel Group of companies (2011 – 2015) with the following key appointments
- Senior Operation & Maintenance Engineer, Ulu Pandan NEWater Plant
- Process Engineer, Doha North Sewage Treatment Works