History of the Fermart Lab
The “original” Fermart Lab was founded in 1919 by Jose Fernandez Martinez (Fer-mart), in Granada (Spain). The Fermart Lab focused on the research and production of drugs for its own brand and European companies, becoming one of the most important medical laboratories in Spain at that time.
After the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) ravaged all Spanish economy and the Second World War (1939-1945) ended all collaborations with German companies, main international clients of Laboratorios Fermart, the company closed down in 1948. Nevertheless, due to the size and relevance of the laboratory, the descendants of Jose Fernandez Martinez are nowadays known as “Fermart”.
In 2015, while working at Harvard University, Prof. Javier G. Fernandez, great grandson of Jose Fernandez Martinez, reestablished the name of Fermart Laboratory for his research group on medical and sustainable technologies. Now stablished in Singapore, the Fermart lab has produced medical technologies for assembling artificial organs and model cancer metastasis, and became spearhead for the development of the “Biomaterial Age”, achieving the first artificial reproduction of a structural bio-material (Shrilk) and the large scale additive manufacture with the most ubiquitous renewable resources on earth (FLAM), key factors to developing circular and sustainable production models and economies.